Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney

I want to thank you for your advice! However, my husband, after

I want to thank you for your advice! However, my husband, after 30 years of verbal abuse and extreme fighting, wants me to give him 3 months of trying as hard as he can. My question is that I have been going to therapy and I have met a man who is a great friend. We have not done anything except talk about our experiences in our marriages. I feel like when I am talking to him it is ME! I need your advice: "Should I go through with the divorce and continue my friendship with this man or should I stay and give my husband a 3 month chance"? Thank you in advance.
Dear JACUSTOMER - This is really not a legal question since it is simply your choice to do what you as you please. Three months longer is not going to have any effect on the outcome of a divorce, one way or the other. If this is a 30 year marriage it will be considered a long term marriage with or without the extra 3 months. Only you can decide if you want to continue with your husband or get a fresh start. Obviously you are not bound by any private agreement so even if you tell him you will give him 3 months and things don't change quickly you can always change your mind and file for divorce. Also you are doing nothing illegal by talking to the other gentleman.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have already filed for divorce and I just didn't know what to do at this point. I guess that the last time I asked a question on here, I got a better answer. Thank you.
I'm sorry you didn't like my answer and I don't know what your first question was but when you ask whether you should delay the divorce or continue the process it becomes a personal decision and as a lawyer I can only answer as to the legal ramifications of a situation. I obviously have no personal knowledge of either of you and I am not a marriage counselor so I was only trying to explain that legally it will make no difference if you stay another three years or end the marriage at this time. Also I was trying to explain that no matter what you and your husband agree to that is not part of a court order it is not enforceable so just because you agree to 3 months doesn't mean you have to keep the promise if things go badly.