Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney

I am divorced and I reside in Nassau county. Two men banged

I am divorced and I reside in Nassau county. Two men banged on the door and asked if Steve Mxxxx lived here and I said there is no XXXXX XXXXXving here. He was my ex husband. How can I find out why he is wanted to protect myself? Thank you.
Dear JACUSTOMER - I will assume that you do not know the identity of these men who came to your door nor where they were from. In that case this could be a criminal case or it could be a civil matter where they were trying to serve him with a lawsuit. So my suggestion is to first check the local court records in the county where your ex resides to see if there are any suits filed. That would be a matter of public record and you can sometime search this information on line if the county has a website for its courts. If there is no website you would have to contact the clerk of courts directly and ask if there are any court actions open against your ex. If nothing shows up then you can check the records in the clerk if the criminal court in that county to see if any charges are pending. If nothing shows up there then the last place you can call is the local police department and ask if there are any warrants issued as you are concerned for your safety. I'm not certain why you didn't ask the two men who were at your door but if they return you should first ask for proper identification and then simply ask why they are looking for your ex. If there is nothing in the public records and you don't know the identity of the men at your door then I know of no way to know how to find out the purpose of their visit