Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.

My wife left me and filed for divorce. No Children. Can I just

My wife left me and filed for divorce. No Children. Can I just move to another state without doing anything and never come back? Will someone try to find me? Can I be prosecuted for anything? Minnesota

Thank You

FiveStarLaw : *This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*
FiveStarLaw : Welcome,My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!
FiveStarLaw : If you move to another state and do not respond in the divorce, a default judgment will be entered against you
FiveStarLaw : This means that the relief requested by your wife will be granted by the court
FiveStarLaw : Your wife could then use that court order to execute on your property and/or garnish your wages in another state
FiveStarLaw : Mediation very often does not work. However mediation simply means you cannot agree. You can allow the court to make the decision
FiveStarLaw : I would be glad to respond to any related follow-up questions that you may have.
Customer: Can a person disappear in another state and job or is it easy to find anyone anywhere?
FiveStarLaw : No it is not a simple matter. A person can be easily traced by the court through their social security number
FiveStarLaw : In order to obtain a job, a person is required to furnish his social security number
Customer: Thank you. That is what I needed to know.