Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney

Noble is homeless, he is invited to stay with Janet who is

Noble is homeless, he is invited to stay with Janet who is disabled in return noble will help take care of her. 9 months later, noble gets drunk & is arrested for aggravated a & b domestic. He goes to jail & her to hospital. I have been sponsoring noble for 3 years. I'm all he has. Do I have any right to get his belongings? I paid for them all & Janet is aware of this. Do I have the right to even ask to get his personal items?
Dear JACUSTOMER - I'm not certain what you mean by "sponsering" but unless you have a power of attorney from Noble you would have no legal standing to claim any of his property or act on his behalf. The fact that you paid for his property is not relevant if you simply paid for it and then gave it to him. It would still be his property to which you would have no right. So my suggestion is to get Noble to give you a power of attorney to act on his behalf and then you could legally seek the property belonging to him. I'm not certain why Janet would want the personal property of Noble or if there was any written agreement between Noble and Janet but this appears to be a trade off of a place to live in exchange for helping with the care of the resident. I see no right Janet would have to Noble's property so it definitely should be returned but either Noble or his legal representative would have to file the claim.