Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney

I am unemployed for a month or so. The court assigned us a

I am unemployed for a month or so. The court assigned us a panel of mediators. Before striking one, would it be proper for me to call mediators on the panel and inquire about their billing options and if they agree with my earning counted as having no income at the moment versus my prior wages/income? Can I ask them if they agree to exclude non-mediating family members from being present on mediation?
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about your difficult situation.

While you can ask the mediators any questions that you have, prior to mediation, keep in mind that mediation is informal and non-binding way to have both sides come to the negotiating table and to attempt to resolve their differences amicably and any information produced at mediation is confidential and cannot be used in further court proceedings, so if these mediators were already ordered and assigned by the court, if you simply try to strike one based on the mediator's position on a legal issue, you might be viewed by the court as someone who is not willing to mediate in good faith and simply shopping for a mediator who would be on your side, rather than neutral.

If you are concerned about these mediator's billing practice and fees, you are definitely entitled to ask for information related to billing and amount of fees prior to mediation and if the fee appears unreasonable or excessive, those could be valid legal grounds to seek the court to appoint a different mediator who might charge a more reasonable fee to the parties involved in mediation.

I wish you the best of luck!