AttyCBradford, Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Defense and Family Law Attorney serving California Statewide

CPS law

Would like to talk one on one with an attorney that specializes in CPS law in the state of WA. We are trying to get certified as foster parents and also have custody of our grandchildren. We started proceedings with the foster parenting procedures, getting to the electronic fingerprinting process as directed by CPS. She never replied or responded to the results of the testing. We got an attorney when we realized that we are being put off and started with the custody plan. The caseworker ignored all written and phone messages, only saying she will get back to us. Today, she contacted our attorney saying that a placement has been made with other family members. Our records are clean. We have had the grandchildren since their birth. They are safe with us. Isn't there a law or statute in the state of WA that protects our rights? The other grandmother, that had absolutely nothing to do with them financially, works for the state. She, we believe, is using her influence to acquire the children. Isn't there a law against this? She has a shady past with cocaine and alcohol. She lost her children to CPS. Her live-in boyfriend also has past alcohol issues and lost his kids, too. My husband and I have a clear past. What can we do? Can you give us anything that will press this issue?

AttyCBradford :

Hello I am sorry to hear about your situation. While I am not a WA, I do handle these types of case in CA routinely. When you are denied foster/adoption parents you are allowed and in fact you have a right to an appeal. Generally the first step is to contact your social worker and if they will not discuss the case you will have to go over their head to their supervisor and request what is known as a grievance hearing.

AttyCBradford :

Here is a link to how to request a grievance hearing in the state of WA

AttyCBradford :

AttyCBradford :

If I have answered all of your questions please press accept and provide positive feedback so I will get credit for assisting you. PLEASE NOTE: this is a PAID answering service and we only receive credit for assisting you if you accept the answer. If you are not satisfied and need additional assistance, please ask before providing negative feedback and I would be glad to assist you further. Sometimes I am working with more than one customer at a time so please allow a chance to respond. Thank you and I wish you the best in your situation! I strongly suggest that you consult with a local attorney in your area on this matter. This information is provided for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice nor has an attorney-client relationship been formed.

Thank you for the link and the best knowledge for your state of CA. I had really hoped for a WA state attorney, but I guess that was unavailable. I will give you a positive rating for your answer. Thank-you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OOPS! You sent me to the state of Ohio. The link was for Washington County, Ohio, not Washington State.

I am sorry I apologize here is the correct information:

Adoptive parents have the right to request a fair hearing to contest decisions made by the Department of Social and Health Services that affects their child’s adoption assistance benefits. Adoptive parents are asked to contact the Office of Administrative Hearings or their adoption assistance worker to request a fair hearing, or phone 800.562.5682 for further information. Either the parent or their representative may request a hearing. The request must be made within in 90 days of the date of the decision. Decisions regarding the timeliness of a hearing request are the responsibility of the ALJ. All hearing requests should be forwarded for scheduling regardless of the date of the request. The request does not need to be in any particular form and can be made verbally or in writing. The request can be made to any responsible department employee. The request should include the decision being appealed and why the client is dissatisfied with the decision. However, any request indicating dissatisfaction with a department decision should be treated as a hearing request. Send requests to the following address:

Office of Administrative Hearings
P.O. Box 2465
Olympia, WA 98504-2465
The above information and further explanation of the fair hearing process can be found at the following links: (see page 17) and