Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
26296561

Ex-wife Beatrice and I divorced. We have a daughter Veronica

Ex-wife Beatrice and I divorced. We have a daughter Veronica age 13. She is my daughter's guardian. They live in Seattle, I moved to New York last year with my present wife. Now my daughter wants to go to New York, living with us together. I want to be my daughter's guardian instead of Beatrice. The reason is Beatrice abuses my daughter seriously.

I want to contact with government departments and seek their help, which department I should contact with?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry about this unfortunate situation with your minor daughter.

You can report any child abuse or neglect related to your minor daughter to the local Seattle Police station and also to the Washington State Department of Social Services at the link below and these agencies will properly investigate your report and will take proper action:

http://www.dshs.wa.gov/ca/safety/abuseStates.asp

I wish you and your daughter the best luck!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Although the abuse maybe happened, but I hope my daughter will not be hurt more as the agency join the case and start investigation. So I want to know:
1. If abuse is sure, my daughter want to move to New York and live with us together, will her requirement be satisfied?
2. I need a social worker for more information. Do you know how to reach a social worker?
3. I want to be my daughter's guardian, what qualification requirements has the government on kid's guardian?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Although the abuse really happened, but I still hope my daughter hurts less.

1. If the abuse is true the government will take a shelter for her, I worry that my daughter is not willing to accept. If my daughter likes to go to New York and lives with us together, is it possible to achieve?

2. I want to be my daughter's guardian, what is the guardians qualification of government?

3. I need a social worker for more information, how can I reach?

Thank you for your follow up.

In order to get custody of your daughter you would need to file petition to modify custody / visitation and you would have to file this petition in the local family court where your daughter is currently residing and you would need to consult and retain local child custody attorney and not a social worker and this local child custody attorney will be able to provide you with legal advice and representation, while a social worked is not licensed and would be unable provide the services that you need to get the custody of your minor daughter.

You can find a local and experienced child custody attorney in the area where your daughter currently lives, by using these well trusted and reliable attorney information / referral websites:

www.martindale.com
www.lexmundi.com
www.justia.com
www.lawyers.com

I wish you and your daughter the best of luck!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Please give me links of regulations and laws about custody

Dear Stone Fan,

Unfortunately your request is very broad and you can order many different law books related to child custody and related laws, but I would suggest that you do consult with a local child custody law attorney in Washington state who can review your entire situation and provide you with legal advice.

Also you can use online legal research websites such as LexisNexis.com and Westlaw.com, but keep in mind that legal research can costs upward of $200 an hour charged for the use of these legal research websites.

I wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You advised me to looking for a lawyer. It's too easy. I come here because lawyer charge is very high.
You can suggest any clients looking for a lawyer.
Are you not lawyers?
Dear Stone Fan,

I am a lawyer, but I am not your lawyer, and I can only provide you with a general answer to your question and any legal research has to be conducted by your local attorney or by you, as such legal research is not only time consuming, but also the costs of using online legal research websites can be $200 an hour or more and it is beyond the scope of the service of this website.

I have already provided you with a general answer to your question and would be happy to answer any of your related follow up questions, but if you do require legal services / research, you would need to either retain a local attorney or if you cannot afford a local private child custody attorney, than you can apply for free or low cost legal service with the nearest legal aid society.

Thank you and GOD bless you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
“if you cannot afford a local private child custody attorney, than you can apply for free or low cost legal service with the nearest legal aid society.” that and the link are what I need.
Dear Stone Fan,

Thank you for your follow up and further clarification.

Please find below the link to the official Seattle Legal Aid Society and you can contact them and apply for help:

http://www.ocla.wa.gov/aboutOCLA.htm

I wish you the best of luck and GOD bless you
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Licensed experienced Attorney