ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

I am the business administrator for a four physician Pediatric

I am the business administrator for a four physician Pediatric Practice in Nevada. I would like to hire my 15 year 9 month old granddaughter to work as a file clerk for a couple of weeks during her summer school break. Is this acceptable?

ScottyMacEsq :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

ScottyMacEsq :

Thank you for your patience. So long as this is office work (and she's not exposed to any dangerous chemicals or processes) then this should be fine, so long as she does not work more than 48 hours in a week.

ScottyMacEsq :

Sorry, I mean 40 hours...

ScottyMacEsq :

(accidentally hit the 8)...

ScottyMacEsq :

Since it's in the summer (non school days) she can work up to 8 hours a day, 40 hours a week in non school weeks).

ScottyMacEsq :

You can find more about the restrictions (what is considered dangerous) here: http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-609.html#NRS609Sec190

ScottyMacEsq :

But in short, office employment in non school weeks for 14 and 15 year old individuals is absolutely allowed, so long as they do not work more than 8 hours a day and 40 hours a week (the 40 hours is under Federal law, whereas the 48 hours is state law, however Federal will trump state, so 40 hours is the max).

ScottyMacEsq :

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX luck to you!

Customer:

Thank you!