Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
26296561

My wife and I are getting ready to go to marriage counseling

My wife and I are getting ready to go to marriage counseling and I have a question.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

What is your legal question for me please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Someone gave me a bag of pot for Christmas and my wife found it. If it comes up in counseling can they take my kids away? Should I even go to counseling without a lawyer?
Dear XXXXX,

Generally, the marriage counseling is confidential, however the counselor might have an obligation to inform authorities, if the counselor believes that someone's life is in imminent danger or a threat of serious physical harm.

Also, if you do decide to go to marriage counseling, it is generally only done with either both or one spouse present and you would not be able to bring in a lawyer with you, so while generally anything that is revealed during confidential marriage counseling treatment cannot be used against the parties in court proceedings, there is always a possibility that counselor might feel obligated to notify authorities of potential drug use / possession, if the counselor feels that your minor children can be in danger because of that.

Given that you are having difficult time in your marriage, it would be a good idea for you to consult with a local family law attorney who can evaluate your entire situation and will be able to protect your legal rights and interests in this situation.

I wish you the best of luck and please let me know if you have any related follow up questions.