Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Ely, Please explain to me about the "right of first refusal"

Ely, Please explain to me about the "right of first refusal" and how I might put together evidence that would allow me to gain that right.

I have sent Ely a message that your question is waiting for him. He will see it as soon as he checks his email.

Thanks for your patience.
Hello friend and thank you for requesting me.

The right of first refusal normally deals with real estate and/or business contracts. Because yours is a family matter, it depends on exactly what you are attempting to achieve here...?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, what I am trying to achieve is that instead of my estranged and her boyfriend dumping the kids off on some un-named individual or the minor son of the boyfriend3(and hiding the fact of who they left the kids with) they contact me first and give me teh chance to take care of teh kids. Case in point: Last week the kids missed 3 days of school because there was a funeral in her home town. I could have taken the kids to school and picked them up. however i do know that doing that would have forced her to add me to the school paperwork for pickups.

so what would this right or whatever I am asking for be called in court?

I understand what you are attempting to do here. However, there is no such "right of first refusal" in family law. So calling your attempt this would be a misnomer and somewhat confusion.

Ergo, to request this in family court, one can simply explain what they hope to achieve and then ask the Court if this would be granted, "in the best interest of the child" (since this is the guiding principle of any family court decision).

It does not matter what you call it - it is the content that matters. Perhaps something along the lines of "Parental Option for Babysitting," etc.
Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience: Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.