How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was wondering what the chances of being awarded custody of

This answer was rated:

I was wondering what the chances of being awarded custody of my grandaughter. Her parents are 19 and 20. here are the pros and cons of both parents
mother, does not work, she does live at home with me again. But has moved several times since my grand-daughters birth 18 months ago. She moves in with friends and when she wears out her welcome she goes somewhere else. I do not deny the fact that she loves her daughter very much I see that but I am concerned about the people she has been hanging around. The latest is a man with theft charges and drug charges but is on probation. She wants to control who the father sees and who he doesnt see
Father -does have a job still lies at home. Calls in to work at times when it is nice. When he has my grand daughter he will go be with his friends and lets whoever takes care of his daughter. He drives recklessly with his daughterin the car and last week left a suicide note and could not be found any where.
I dont think this is a stable atmosphere in my grand daughters life so was wondering if I would stand a chance at getting custody of her until they both get help and learn how to function like normal healthy adults


I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and I look forward to providing you information in this regard.

I am sorry to hear of this situation for your grand daughter. But she is fortunate to have you in her life.

I suggest that what you describe is a good basis to request that you be given guardianship/temporary custody over the child. But you will need to be able to show that this is the situation and that it is in the child's best interest to be taken from the parents at this time. You will need to show that the child is being neglected or abused and it sounds as if there may be neglect.

You will have to go to the court in the county where the child has lived for at least the past 6 months and file a Petition for Guardianship. You can try to do it yourself or you may be able to get a local attorney to assist you. I suggest you can go to the court and ask the clerk if they have a packet of documents to Petition for Guardianship of a Minor.

IT is a process, but you can try to do it on your own. It may be that the forms are on line - What is the county that child lives in and I can check that for you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Linn County Iowa



Thank you

Unfortunately, I do not find those forms online.

But contact the Clerk of the Circuit/Superior County in Linn County and get the packet as I stated. You can at least read over it and then decide how you want to proceed.

Good luck

Samuel II and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions