Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney

My inlaws are both disabled mother in law at home in a wheel

My inlaws are both disabled mother in law at home in a wheel chair full time with a live care giver my farher in law is currently in a rehab/live in center. The rehab center is asking my wife ,who has POA for both parents to sign of for finacial responsibility when the medicare and his other ins runs out they are also asking for all their finacial info. I told her not to sign of on anything until her father ins runs out and we will deal with it then. Any advise
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 1 year ago.
DearCustomer- I agree with you. She should not sign anything that even resembles financial responsibility. She will need to provide them with a copy of her POA which does not obligate her for any debts but she should not sign to be responsible., She can sign for permission to admit her parent to the nursing home and to be the party to notify in case of emergency but nothing that says she will be responsible for any debts. Either the parents have to pay from their own funds or apply for Medicaid but your wife should not accept financial responsibility. Once she does she can be responsible for a lot of money and have this hanging over her head for many years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can they take thr Father's income to pay his charges if his income is also paying for his wife's care who is a totally disabled?

Yes they can take his income if he is admitted to the home. Then his wife would have to apply for disability or Medicaid. Obviously the alternative is for your wife to pay the bills but there is no legal obligation to do so unless she signs the guarantee for the nursing home.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Would you recommend we get a lawyer to help us through and if so do you have a recommendation

It's always best to have legal counsel, especially before you sign anything. I can only offer general information from here since I have no way to analyze the financial condition of the parents or review any documents. We do not recommend private lawyers from this website but you can contact the Bar Association for a referral to an attorney in your area.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your help

No problem and thanks for using our service - Dave
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience: 25 years experience as practicing attorney