ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

My husband and I recently divorced. I am a unconditional permanent

My husband and I recently divorced. I am a unconditional permanent resident who would like to get my US citizenship. I have lived in the U.S. for 4.5 years now. During our separation and divorce proceedings I fell in love with a new man, a US citizen. We would like to get married very soon, but I don't know how this will effect my chances of becoming a US citizen. I do have a child with my husband and it was not a marriage for citizenship. One of the reasons why we would like to get married is, in our divorce decree, while I have custody of our son, he must leave my residence at 11pm and can not return until 7 am. We would like to live together. Any advice?

ScottyMacEsq :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

ScottyMacEsq :

So long as you're already divorced (you have a signed order from the judge dissolving the marriage), the remarriage will not affect your chances of getting citizenship, particularly in light of the fact that you have unconditional permanent residence.

ScottyMacEsq :

One thing that you're going to want to make certain of is that the order only prohibits boyfriends / fiances and not spouses from being absent from your residence for those 8 hours.

ScottyMacEsq :

But assuming that is the case, marital status is not considered in citizenship applications (even though it is considered in permanent residence situations).

ScottyMacEsq :

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX luck to you!

ScottyMacEsq :

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Customer:

That is great!!! So just to confirm. I applied for US citizenship last August. I took my exams, passed, and in the interview was denied and told that I would be able to receive citizenship in December of 2013. My new marriage would not interfere with that?

ScottyMacEsq :

It should not. You will need to update any information on file, but that's not something that will derail the citizenship process.

Customer:

Update the information with immigration services?

ScottyMacEsq :

Yes, if you take his name, etc...

ScottyMacEsq :

(or have any change of address, spousal information, etc..)

Customer:

Sounds good. Thankyou

ScottyMacEsq :

My pleasure.If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX good luck to you!