How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16498
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just received an "interest enforcment letter " from California

This answer was rated:

I just received an "interest enforcment letter " from California but all it said was I owe 74k. 42 actual support, 31 in interest and they have been charging me interest all the way up to now. Is there anyway I can get out of paying the interest?

Thank you for your help.

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation.

Were you ordered to pay child support by the court and did you fail to make this court ordered child support payments?

What was the reason you did not make these court ordered child support payments?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Alex,

My exwife and I separated prior to 2003 . We divorced and the state of California charged me back support . Ive payed it faithfully for the last 13 or so years. I think Ive just been paying on the interest, who knows?


Both of my children are over 18 . I am paying to this day 500 dollars per month. When they were under 18 I believe I was paying approximately 1200 dollars per month. I thank you for taking the time to field my question.


Thank you for your follow up.

Basically, you can file a Motion to Modify the amount of the back owed child support with the court that has ordered the initial child support payment and such motion would be based on either some type of financial hardship or the fact that child support in arrears is miscalculated or the amount is incorrect.

The court will hold a hearing and the judge will review the entire situation and all the facts related to the child support in the arrears and your position and any hardship that you are experiencing and the judge will make a decision whether to reduce the total amount of back owed child support.

Of course, it would be a good idea for you to consult and hire local attorney to represent you in this type of proceedings and the local attorney can make sure that your position is presented in the best possible light and all the facts and evidence in support of your request are clearly outlined.

I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq. and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions