Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney

I am 27 years old now. When I was 16 I was awarded some money

I am 27 years old now. When I was 16 I was awarded some money from an accident and the judge agreed for me to have the money instead of waiting until I was 18 since I was married. The lawyer said the check had to be made to someone over 18 so it was made to my stepmother. I didny get the money but she says she cashed the check and gave me the money. After this long can I file criminal charges against her in Ky?
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am very sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

What was the amount of the settlement that your stepmother kept?

Why did you wait so long to consider legally pursuing this matter?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
About 2000 dollars and Ive waited hoping to keep family ties but my dad died 4 years ago and we arent friendly now anyway.

While a theft of $2,000 would be considered a felony under Kentucky law, if the check was made out in your stepmother's name, even though it was given to her so she can give it to you, it would not likely be considered a criminal matter, but a civil matter and unfortunately the statute of limitations to sue your stepmother for this money she misappropriated has long expired and you would not be able to pursue this claim civilly.

I am very sorry to deliver this bad news to you and I do wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The check was made out to her for me. Does that answer still apply?

Yes the same answer would apply.

Thank you and GOD bless you!