SoloLawyer
SoloLawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Missisippi Attorney; Criminal Law, Family Law, Personal Injury, and Civil Defense
18210975

is there a way to get copies of signed temp gaurdianship papers

is there a way to get copies of signed temp gaurdianship papers my girlfriend gave temp gaurdianship to her mother but wants them back now her mother wont give them back nor let her see the signed paper so she has no clue what was on there she believes that the paper says the gaudianship has expired or if she can legally take them when she is ready
Category: Family Law
Expert:  SoloLawyer replied 1 year ago.

SoloLawyer :

Hello - Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your family law problem today.

SoloLawyer :

When a guardianship is ordered, it would be filed with the court. Your girlfriend should contact the clerk of the court where the guardianship was ordered and ask for a copy of the file.

Customer:

thats the thing she has no idea where she was ill at the time her mom brought the papers to her to sign now is being shady about the papers all together wont show the papers

SoloLawyer :

It doesn't sound like this was done through a court then. She just signed some papers giving her Mother the right to make decisions for the child?

Customer:

so does tat make it not legit

SoloLawyer :

Well, you can't sign over custody like that. A judge has to decide a custody issue. Your girlfriend can sign to allow her mother to make decisions for the child, but your girlfriend still has legal custody.

SoloLawyer :

She needs to speak to a local attorney and possibly file in family court to have the children returned.

Customer:

ok cause she is working on tat wasnt sure what her rigts on tis like could she take the kids legally

SoloLawyer :

Signing over temporary guardianship (custody) is legal between two parties. But it doesn't change the permanent custody. She really needs to talk to a local attorney about the legality of what she signed.

Customer:

ok thanks

SoloLawyer :

Anything else I can help you with?

SoloLawyer :

If you valued my time, I would appreciate you leaving a positive review. Good luck and take care!

SoloLawyer :

Michael

SoloLawyer, Lawyer
Experience: Licensed Missisippi Attorney; Criminal Law, Family Law, Personal Injury, and Civil Defense