Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

How likely is a spouse to be awarded spousal support, if the

How likely is a spouse to be awarded spousal support, if the husband makes an 80k salary and the wife is unemployed as a stay at home mom if the marriage was only 6 months?
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

Welcome,

I am a New York licensed attorney. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

It is extremely unlikely that the wife would be awarded any spousal support in a marriage of such a short duration. That said, if the child is also the child of the husband, child support would be required

I would be glad to respond to any related follow-up questions that you may have.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is it true that a judge can grant spousal support if one spouse earns signifacantly more than the other?

Yes – however although the judge always has discretion to award spousal support, it typically will not order such spousal support when the marriage is of such a short duration. If the court were to award any payment of all, it would likely be temporary maintenance for the duration of the divorce proceeding