Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.

My boyfriends ex wife has threatened several times by text

My boyfriend's ex wife has threatened several times by text that she will kill him if he shows up at her door. He has to. He picks his children up. She threatens her kids if they don't give her any information on what they have done over the weekend when they're with us. I bought a cell phone for one of his kids because she has to walk a ways away from school to home and we just wanted to be sure that there's a way to keep in contact with her for safety. His ex has threatened to pull his kids out of their activities if I show up. She has texted him so many times threatening to kill him, wanting him and me dead, and stating that she will tell the children how bad a father he is - just because. She basically needs a life because we rarely even deal with her but this is just too much. The children have been out in the middle. They have told their Dad so many times that they wished they lived with us but in Texas, the wife always rules and gets the children. We're just concerned about how the children are being treated and I don't want being threatened all the time.
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

This sounds like a very dangerous situation. What are the ages of the children? Have you or your boyfriend filed a police report?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
17, 12 and 8
No police report has been filed yet.
Thank you for your response.

A death threat should be taken very seriously. Unfortunately some former spouses do attempt to carry out threats and this is especially true where there have been repetitive threats and irrational behavior. I strongly suggest that you involve the police immediately.

Next your boyfriend can consider filing for a protective order and emergency custody of the children. Here is a link to the kit to file for a protective order:

After the forms are completed, you and your boyfriend must bring them to the courthouse. Due to the emergency nature of the situation, a judge will typically speak with you at that time – show him the text messages and explain your fear that she will follow through with the threats. If it all possible bring the children with you. Regardless of whether the children are with you, ask the judge to award your boyfriend emergency custody for their protection.

There will be a hearing at a later date for permanent protective order and custody. I suggest that you retain counsel for that hearing.

I would be glad to respond to any related follow-up questions that you may have.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you very much! I've shown my boyfriend your response and we will act on it immediately!! Thank you very very much!! God bless you!!!
It has been my pleasure to work with you. I wish you the very best at this difficult time.

Please let me know if I can assist you in the future by requesting me directly.