xavierjd
xavierjd, Lawyer
Experience:  20 yrs exp. in divorce, custody, visitation & support .
14261217

Question on basics of how child support works in Ohio. I have

Question on basics of how child support works in Ohio. I have been paying my support via deduction for 6 seven years now, never missed a payment. I recently lost my job, so I contacted the child support agency and let them know I was not working, and would let them know when I was again employed and if I received any unemployment compensation. My question is this. I am pretty sure support is based on income, so will my liability be reduced based on me not working, and when I go back to work (probably will not make as much as I used to). Will this automatically be adjusted when I report my new employment, or will I have to file some paperwork? Secondly, I live out of state, and about 2 years ago, my daughter and her mother moved here to the same state I am in. Should the support order still be going through the state of Ohio?
Thank you for using JustAnswer.com It will be my pleasure to assist you today.

Were you married to your daughter's mother?

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No we were never married.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Also, the main reason support even came up was because she applied for state aid, so they came to me for support.

Hi Al,

Under normal circumstances, you could only ask for a review by the Child Support Enforcement Agency every 36 months. However, unemployment or layoff for more than 30 days are circumstances that allow the 36 month time frame to be changed.

If you have become unemployed, you may be able to have your support obligation modified, either by asking your Child Support Enforcement Agency (CSEA) for an administrative review or by going to court to ask that your support order be modified. Don't just rely on a telephone conversation. You can contact the Ohio CSEA to ask how to make a formal request for review.

If the CSEA finds that your case is eligible, the CSEA will contact both parties within 15 days from the time of your request. The CSEA will ask you and the other party to submit information within 45 days (or sooner if you both waive the 45-day period). Based on that information, the CSEA will determine if the agency can modify the support order. If, however, you have requested a review, but fail to return the requested paperwork, the review will be dismissed.

It is YOUR responsibility to notify the CSEA when you become employed again. At that point, the CSEA can modify your child support responsibility based on your new job's income and the income of the mother.

Your child support will remain under the jurisdiction of the Ohio Court until you file a Motion for Change of Jurisdiction from Ohio to the state you both now live in. You will have to file the Motion in the Ohio Court that has the support order. Not only will Ohio have to give up it's jurisdiction, but the Court in the county in which the child now lives will have to accept the jurisdiction.

You should speak to an attorney who specializes in family law in the county and state in which you now live. You can discuss the specific facts of your case, evaluate your options and decide how to best proceed.

I hope you find this information useful.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you for your business!

Xavierjd

Many customers have asked how they can specifically direct a question to me in the future. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "xavierjd” in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

***Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace the advice or assistance of an attorney licensed to practice law in your state. If you need any more information, please do not hesitate to ask. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

great thanks, XXXXX XXXXX question, do you know of a state site that has the forms online I could fill out and then mail in? I haven't found one yet.

Hi Al,

Below is a link to all Courts, Rules and available forms for all of the individual courts in Ohio. Look for your county and Court, and check for any available on line forms. If none are available, you can contact the Ohio CSEA and ask if there are any forms available. Even if the forms are not available on line, the CSEA may be able to mail any forms that may be applicable.

http://www.ohiocourtlinks.org/

Thank you for your business!

Xavierjd

Hi Al,

Thank you so much for the "excellent service" rating! It is greatly appreciated and I am glad that you found the information useful.

If you have future questions, you can specifically request me by name as the expert.

Thanks again,

xavierjd