How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30866
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had my divorce trial last week in Nevada. Motion for discovery

This answer was rated:

I had my divorce trial last week in Nevada. Motion for discovery from husband denied so nothing from him at trial. 20 year marriage, I supported myself as a realtor entire marriage. He worked making 5 times my income and spent entire paycheck each month. I bought both homes, we refied twice to pay off his credit cards. Both times he got them back to 30K. I will lose health insurance and will now pay 500 a month. I have serious on going health issues. I was awarded $1,000 in support and $1,000 in personal property division worth over 70K. He cheated last 2 years and spent a lot of money on her but cannot prove since no discovery. He offered a legal separation, I agreed, he stopped. I offered to settle twice, he would not consider, so off to trial. Very unfair outcome. My attorney suggested a petition. Would that be better than a mistrial? We need a new judge and I want to address all husbands lies. Please help, I am 60 years old, he is 46.
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Family Law litigation attorney. Thanks for your question, but I certainly am sorry for your predicament.

A petition for rehearing would likely be the best option instead of seeking a mistrial. Also, a mistrial is usually a result of some procedural problem that made the lawsuit or proceeding defective or void in some way.

If you want a new judge, the best way to try that is to just file an entirely new divorce petition a s hope the case is assigned to another judge. Otherwise, you would have to file a motion for the judge to recuse himself/herself, but you would need a legitimate reason to remove the judge - like some provable bias.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Would denying any discovery from husband be a procedural issue? My biggest concern is a new judge. Would I get the same judge in a petition, can a new one be requested. Would filing a new divorce petition be just as expensive as the last one, asking for discovery, back to trial (I do not live in Nevada now) all the legal work would have to redone, yes? Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX hear from you. I would like to address all the lies my husband told since we only had his testimony.

Denying any discovery at all would certainly be a procedural problem, but if it wasn't addressed at the time of denial or before proceeding to trial, then you've probably waived the right to appeal or claim an issue with that now that the case is over. Thus, it would be tough to raise that issue now.

IF you filed a petition for re-hearing, you would likely get the same judge because you're not opening a new case - - instead, you're just continuing the case that has already been filed.

If you re-filed the case again, it should not be as expensive because you already have the pleadings and most of the paperwork; but there would be the expense of filing fees and you would have to pay your attorney for his/her time, but it should be less costly because the documents are on the computer and could just be updated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We filed a motion to compel discovery and a motion to hold defendant in contempt of court order. I believe these were denied. What could have been done after that? The same motion again??? Trial was 2 weeks away. With a petition, could I be present, or am I relying on my attorney to make my case without testimony from me? Or am I allowed to attend the petition, is it in front of the judge, or does he just read it and make decision. That scares me.

I know you cannot respond to this, but it seemed very "fishy" between other counsel and judge. Nevada is famous for being corrupt. My attorney agreed, but what can be done, nothing I know.

If the motions were denied, you could have filed an interlocutory appeal to have the appellate court review the decision. The appeal would have postponed the trial. You're right that a denial of discovery is very unusual.

If your attorney filed a petition for rehearing, it could be argued without you present. No testimony would be required.

As far as what to do now about the discovery issue, there's probably not a lot that can be done. However, you could appeal the decision or file a petition for rehearing.

At this juncture, a petition for rehearing is probably the best course of action.
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30866
Experience: BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Roger and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX very helpful. Keep good thoughts for me, I truly deserve a fair outcome. Be well!!

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Previous | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16 yrs. of experience including family law.
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:


Related Family Law Questions