FiveStarLaw
FiveStarLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

My ex was ordered to pay alimony for life in MA. (to stop paying) Under

Customer Question

My ex was ordered to pay alimony for life in MA. (to stop paying)
Under the new law would he most likely win?
He makes $1,000,000 and I have not worked in
20 years
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FiveStarLaw replied 1 year ago.
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

Welcome,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

What was the length of your marriage? When was your divorce granted?

I looked back on your prior questions and realized that I assisted you previously. Welcome back.

Even under the new law, a previous order for permanent alimony that states that it is nonmodifiable can not be modified unless there is a material change in circumstances.

The change in the law itself, does not constitute a material change in circumstances.

Therefore if your award of alimony states that it is nonmodifiable, it is not subject to modification based upon the change in the law. However if your award of alimony does not state that it is nonmodifiable, it is subject to modification based upon the term limits set forth in the new statute.

I would be glad to respond to any follow-up questions that you may have
FiveStarLaw, Lawyer
Experience: 25 years of experience helping people like you.

Thank you very much for the "good service" rating and the bonus!

If I can be of assistance in the future, begin your question with: "For FiveStarLaw"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Mass. is a modify state and the new law that states alimony can not

go on for life. My question is (which I know you cannot see the future)

if he took me to court and the Judge looked at our incomes would

he likely side with him. Again my original agreement is for life.

Yes I understand that the new law does end permanent alimony in Massachusetts. However the new law does not affect nonmodifiable permanent alimony that has been entered under a prior court order UNLESS there has been a material change in circumstances. A material change in circumstances would mean that your former husband is earning less money – since your former husband is earning more money, the order is nonmodifiable even though had you divorced under the current law, you would not have received permanent alimony. Therefore it is extremely unlikely that your alimony would be terminated
FiveStarLaw, Lawyer
Thank you very much for the excellent service rating and the bonus. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or require clarification.