Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 14 years experience
19958803

I am the biological maternal grandmother and am active in my

I am the biological maternal grandmother and am active in my daughter and grandchildren's lives. I gave her up for adoption at 16 and my daughter's adoptive parents have filed for custody of the grandchildren. Is there anything I can do.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
Why are the adoptive parents seeking custody?
.
Where is daughter in all of this?
.
.
Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My daughter has gotten her life together and moved to another city with the children, it took her six months to do so and the grandparents knew the timeline and plans for the whole six months and then after my daughter moved with the grandchildren, the grandparents filed for custody. The grandchildren have been with their Mother in the new city living in a house and going to new schools since Jan 4.

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information. Unfortunately if you were forced to place your daughter up for adoption, that would have severed all your paternal rights to her from that point on. This would include any children that she might have had. So at this point, from a purely legal perspective, you sit in the same position as a complete stranger would with regard to any rights to custody.
.
With this being the case, I am sorry, but you wouldn't have any legal standing to pursue custody of the grandchildren. However, you could step in and support daughter in any fight that she had against adoptive parents by assisting her with caring for the children. If daughter can show a support network of people helping her, then it is much more likely that she will be able to retain custody of the children. At that point, there would be nothing to prevent her from allowing the children to visit with you even though you have no legal rights to them.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

Please remember to rate my service. If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My daughter and I want to file for legal adoption in Tarrant County, would that prevent the adoptive parents from taking the grandchildren. We have already checked into how much it costs and how to file it. If I was her legal mother on paper, would that help the case in any way?

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
My daughter and I want to file for legal adoption in Tarrant County, would that prevent the adoptive parents from taking the grandchildren.
.
If you are talking about doing an adult adoption of your daughter so as to re-establish that relationship legally, then that would result in terminating the adoptive parent's rights to daughter. With that said, if they have been in children's lives for some period, then I would still opine that they could try to seek some type of partial custody or visitation due to the pre-existing relationship.
.
However, that would strengthen any argument that daughter has to prevent them from getting full custody because they would not legally be related to her any longer. The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that a judge has to do what he feels is in the best interests of the children. If she has problems that are preventing her from being able to adequately care for the children, then the judge can place the children where he feels that they will receive the best care. But if mother is taking care of them and providing for their needs and they are thriving, it is unlikely that adoptive parents would be able to get full custody from her. Visitation, probably. Partial custody, possibly. But full custody is unlikely unless they can prove she is abusing them, neglecting them, on drugs, etc.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My daughter has provided a loving, emotionally stable environment for her children and the children are being well taken care of, in school, regular doctor/dental checkups,etc. The grandparents even sent the Sheriff to their house who gave a positive report in the very beginning. The grandfather is dying of cancer, the grandmother has severe emotional issues, and I am trying to find out if there is something I can file to get the grandmother evaluated. My daughter and I will go ahead with the adoption, is it immediate once it is filed? Thanks for your help

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Well, that is very good news indeed. If daughter is providing a good home for the children, then it will be much more difficult for the grandparents to mount a successful case.
.
If the adoptive grandmother is a danger to herself or others, then anyone could file a report with social services or the police and ask them to do a "welfare check".
.
My daughter and I will go ahead with the adoption, is it immediate once it is filed?
.
Not immediate, as there is a formal hearing in front of a judge. But once the judge signs off on the order and files it with the clerk, it is done.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We will just go ahead with the legal adoption and hope for the best with the lawsuit.

Thanks for your help. If I think of any more questions, am I able to message you again?

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

.

Sure, you can always get back to me by putting "For Barrister" in any subsequent questions. The moderators at JA will then get the question to me.

.

.

You are very welcome.

Barrister, Lawyer
Experience: Attorney with 14 years experience