KimberlyLaw, Lawyer and Real Estate Broker
Experience:  13 years of experience practicing law.

I have a court date set for me and my x husband to go to court

I have a court date set for me and my x husband to go to court because I filed to change my parenting plan. If my x husband goes to jail and isn't able to show up for the court date can I still use that same court date and ask the judge at that appearance for full custody due to his incarceration or do I need to file some other sort of change of parenting plan.
Hello, I am happy to assist you today.

Yes. You should still go to the hearing. Inform the judge of his status in jail, and request a default judgment against him. The judge will decide what is appropriate. He may agree with you that you should get full custody, or at least give you temporary custody while he is in jail and give him another chance to come to court after he is out of jail.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Please do not rank my answer until we finish discussing.

· This is my full-time job, not a hobby. If you do not “ACCEPT” my answer, or rate my service “Poor” or “Bad”, the system will keep all of your money and I will not get paid.

· My answer is meant to help educate you about the law, and I promise to give you the best answer possible.

· I will receive only half of the amount that you pay for your question. Multiple accepts or tips are greatly appreciated.

· If I do not reply immediately I might be offline or working with another customer. Please be patient, I will get back to you quickly!

· Please note that even if my answer is not what you were hoping for, I have given you a complete answer and can not control if the law is against you. A favorable rating would be appreciated.

· If you don’t accept my answer, or give me a poor or bad rating, the website retains your entire payment, and I receive no credit or payment for my work with you.

To request me in the future, please start your question with "To KimberlyLaw".