KimberlyLaw, Lawyer and Real Estate Broker
Experience:  13 years of experience practicing law.

My husband and I went to an attorney and signed a deed of entirety

My husband and I went to an attorney and signed a deed of entirety (warranty deed) on a house my husband owned 7 years before we got married. My name is XXXXX XXXXX the deed. We lived together for 1 year and are now getting a divorce. Am I entitled to 1/2 ownership in the house or can a judge decide I get less than that? We live in TN.
Hello, I am happy to assist you today.

Right now you do own 50% of the interest in the property. What will happen in divorce court is that the judge will review your entire financial situation before, during and after the marriage. He or she will decide what to do with the house. It will most likely go to you or your husband 100% and the other person will have to pay the other for the difference in the value.

The best situation here is for you to come to an agreement with your husband. If he agrees to let you keep the property, then you will sign a deed into your name alone and get any mortgages refinanced so that everything is in your name. If you come to an agreement then it makes this process much much easier.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Please do not rank my answer until we finish discussing.

· This is my full-time job, not a hobby. If you do not “ACCEPT” my answer, or rate my service “Poor” or “Bad”, the system will keep all of your money and I will not get paid.

· My answer is meant to help educate you about the law, and I promise to give you the best answer possible.

· I will receive only half of the amount that you pay for your question. Multiple accepts or tips are greatly appreciated.

· If I do not reply immediately I might be offline or working with another customer. Please be patient, I will get back to you quickly!

· Please note that even if my answer is not what you were hoping for, I have given you a complete answer and can not control if the law is against you. A favorable rating would be appreciated.

· If you don’t accept my answer, or give me a poor or bad rating, the website retains your entire payment, and I receive no credit or payment for my work with you.

To request me in the future, please start your question with "To KimberlyLaw".