How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Amber E. Your Own Question
Amber E.
Amber E., Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1468
Experience:  Experienced practitioner in family law, including divorce, custody, and domestic violence cases.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Amber E. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a mother a two children. They reside with me in Ohio.

This answer was rated:

I am a mother a two children. They reside with me in Ohio. Their father lives in Virgina and pays for childcare 10 months out of the year. Now that my eldest is beginning school I want to establish child support. We have never been married. We each carry medical insurance on the kids.
Is it possible to have a simple document created to establish child support from this point on without it costing me a fortune in court and lawyer fees? I am on a very tight budget and keep putting it off.
Are you interested in going through Child Support Enforcement (at no cost to you), or is this something that you want to do on your own by agreement between the parties?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have never heard of that before.

In Ohio, a parent can request child support by filing an administrative case through child support enforcement, it is a division of the state's Department of Child and Family Services. I have provided the web address below. Another option is to file a court case through Juvenile Court, but the benefit of a child support enforcement action is that the state actually represents the child in pursuing the action and the custodial parent receives the benefit on behalf of the child, all without the need to retain an attorney.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Once I file, will I actually attend court or is it all just paperwork if he agrees to pay?

You likely will have to attend at least one hearing, because the court may have questions. If he agrees at that point, then it becomes a court order and no future appearances are generally required.
Amber E. and 7 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you