Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Is there a way to back track "blocked calls" that came into

Is there a way to back track "blocked calls" that came into a cell phone to determine the actual originating phone number, after that fact. I know how to "trap" "current" blocked calls, but need to know if I can track previous calls dialed in from a "blocked number" before the "trap" was in place. [this information may be necessary for a family court matter]
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

Can you please tell me if the litigation on this matter has already been filed, or, not yet? This is important. In other words, is there ongoing litigation already?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nothing has been filed yet. I am actually trying to ascertain whether I am going to file for divorce, or if, in fact, I am going to 'believe' that the affair is truly over. Trust is clearly an issue, and while I would like to believe that the affair and all contact is over, I feel the need to verify for my own peace of mind, so to speak.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, friend.

Until litigation is filed, there is no way to get these records. They are typically available, but, the telephone company has no duty to hand them over and they do not without a subpoena. In other words, it is their records, and not public.

A subpoena is a request to a third party (i.e. in this case the telephone company) under the Court of Law to provide records under a request that seeks pertinent information to the case.

The specific subpoena here is called a subpoena duces tecum, but, it may only be filed once litigation has commenced, I am afraid. Ergo, I am afraid that one has to file the suit first, but then, to get the records which may be used in Court.

I hope this helps and clarifies.

Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize, but the last thing I wish to do is mislead you.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So, if I am to understand correctly, the 'trapped' information for 'blocked' calls is, in fact, stored somewhere in the phone company's records. But, I would need to file an action of some sort and then request a subpoena duces tecum with the specific dates/times of the original 'blocked' calls that were made to the phone line in question in order to obtain the information I seek.

Is this correct?

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
So, if I am to understand correctly, the 'trapped' information for 'blocked' calls is, in fact, stored somewhere in the phone company's records.

Correct. Even if the call is blocked to the person receiving it, the telephone company has the record of whoever made the call.

But, I would need to file an action of some sort and then request a subpoena duces tecum with the specific dates/times of the original 'blocked' calls that were made to the phone line in question in order to obtain the information I seek.

Correct. There has to be litigation. Also, the subpoena has to request information which is pertinent to the action. In other words, it has to have something to do with what you are trying to prove in Court.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE and submit your rating when we are finished.
Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience: Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your generosity.