Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney

if my ex wife and i no longer reside in the same county as

Customer Question

if my ex wife and i no longer reside in the same county as our divorce was done in how do i get a change of venue for all of my child support hearings and such done. i have a hearing coming up and live a very long way away and just need to find out how to change this
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 3 years ago.
Dear JACUSTOMER - I'm not certain from your facts whether you are the custodial or non custodial parent but the proper venue is the county where the children reside. So if you are the custodial parent you can have the case registered in your county by obtaining a certified copy of the judgment and court order from the original county and having it registered in your county. If you are the non custodial parent then your county would not have jurisdiction to hear a case involving children who live in an other county or state. So you can either leave the case where it is or you can ask that it be moved to the county where the children reside in the same way you would ask to have the case moved to your own county.
What else do you want to know? I thought I answered your question and you never asked a follow up but just said I gave "poor" service. If you have more information or an additional question I would be happy to answer further.