Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.

We have a 17-year old daughter who does not want to live with

We have a 17-year old daughter who does not want to live with us and won't go to school. She has run away before and lied about us. What can we do?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
Hello

I am an attorney with more than 25 years experience. I will provide your information today and look forward to assisting you.

I am sorry to hear of this matter.

So are you being charged with her truancy?

When will she be 18?

What does she have to say for herself?

What is it you are hoping to accomplish?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My husband was charged with her curfew (mid-day) violation. I received a warning. We have gone to court for her cussing at school, tobacco products on school property, and paraphernalia, and the curfew violation. Her previous truancy charge was dropped by the school officer. He has since sent a new warning. She just turned 17 April 20th. I just found out today that she hasn't been to school since 04/18/13. Though the court secretaries assure me that it'll be better now that she is responsible. I have doubts because others have said that we are still responsible and that we could have trouble with the law. We have already paid fines and for a smoking awareness class. She is already on probation and will be doing community service soon. She does what she wants and lies to people about us.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
Hi

I am so sorry to hear of this situation. Unfortunately, the rearing of teens is not an easy task,

The age of majority in Texas is 18 so you are totally responsible for her until then

I suggest you might want to consult with someone in your department of Juvenile Services and tell them that you are worried about your daughter and that you would like them to talk to her to explain the dangers she risks by not going to school. That she can be charged with the delinquent act and be sent to a home until she is age 21.

Honestly, it is not a whole lot you can do short of maybe a home school program or if there is an alternative school she may want to go to

Also at age 17 she can quit school. So perhaps you might want to talk to her about that. And look into how she can get her GED instead of the high school diploma. Explain that she will need to get the GED and then go to work. That she cannot just hang around the house causing angst to you and the other family members

I wish here was a magic pill to help teens to wake up and take caution but there isn't. We can only do the best we can as parents. It is a shame because we know she is the one who will be on the losing end

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. I was researching and someone said that you can get a judge to declare the child undisciplined. What does that really do? What does it entail? Also, a law firm in TX says that technically a 17-year old can leave the home without being made to return by the police. Is that true?

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
Hi

If the court rules Undisciplined, then that is adjudicate deliquent and the child can be sent to a foster home or worse a detention center. That is why I suggested you talk to someone at Juvenile Services to see if they can chat with her about the consequences of her actions.

And yes, if she runs away, the police do not have to make her return because she is 17. Dumb law, in my opinion. But you still are responsible for the child's thoughts, actions, deeds and financial support of necessities such as shelter, food and clothing.

Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience: General practice of law with emphasis in family law.