Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience

Once married in the state of TX, am I legally responsible for

Once married in the state of TX, am I legally responsible for my spouses credit and medical debt?
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
Were the debts incurred prior to or during the marriage?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

prior to - we are not married yet.

Then no, any debts incurred prior to the marriage would be considered spouse's separate debts. Same thing for assets. You are only responsible for debts that are incurred during the course of the marriage unless old separate debts are refinanced or rolled into marital debts.
So if you both take out a loan during the marriage to pay off the medical debts, then you are responsible for repaying it. But as long as you don't do anything to add your name to those debts, you can't be held responsible for paying them.

Please remember to rate my service. If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.