Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

My daughter and her husband are divorcing. How does she get

My daughter and her husband are divorcing. How does she get her name off the mortgage that is both their names? Her husband wants the house and the dog only but she has been the major wage earner so she must free herself from the house payment
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

This is a common situation. Allow me to explain.

Now, in a divorce, the Court cannot simply order a contract void that involves a third party (the lender).

Ergo, there are generally two things done in the divorce decree:

1) She would quitclaim the home to him. This essentially gives her interest to him, and;
2) The decree orders him to REFINANCE within a certain amount of time with the lender, to take her name off the mortgage contract.

If he does not refinance in time either due to sloth or inability, then the Court will either (1) give the property to her, (2) sell the home and split the proceeds, or (3) do whatever else the Court feels is equitable (fair).

So if she does not want the home, and he does, then the above would be included in the divorce decree and would help to ensure that her name is XXXXX XXXXX the mortgage.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Best of luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience: Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Should she move out before the refinancing is settled?

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your follow up.

Since she does not want the property, then it really does not matter whether she relocates or not prior to this matter being adjudicated - it makes no difference here, so, it is her decision.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE and submit your rating when we are finished.