Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney

MY wife adopted my son. we have been married for 2 years. now

MY wife adopted my son. we have been married for 2 years. now she wants a divorce. She wants my son every other weekend and he doesn't want to go. he is 14. what options do I have.
Dear JACUSTOMER - If she is the legal mother of your child then she would have the same rights to visitation as any natural parent would have in a divorce. Your son cannot decide the issue of visitation any more than he can decide if he wants to go to school however at 14 it is possible that the court will listen to his wishes as to the amount of visitation or the visitation schedule. I know that teenagers are involved in a lot of school and social activities and unless they can continue to do these while on visitation with the non custodial parent it can create a problem. So my suggestion is to ask the court to alter the standard order of visitation to accommodate both the mother and the son but based on my experience, if she wants visitation the court will order it. You would have to show some really unusual circumstances for the court to deny a mother visitation of her child, adoptive or natural.