Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

UIFSA question: Both parties reside in FL as do all children.

UIFSA question: Both parties reside in FL as do all children. Child support order and docs were registered in FL (originated in NJ). NCP did not contest. NCP filed to stop CS in FL...FL sent NCP to NJ for companion order. NCP then filed motion to modify, etc in NJ, although past due balances and enforcement action is ongoing in FL. How do I show venue/jurisdiction is in FL to the NJ court and request it all to be moved to FL? NJ has already scheduled an ESP, but I am a resident of FL.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question and for asking for me.

Since the NJ order was registered in FL, all the FL courts can do is enforce the NJ order as written, they cannot change that order. Thus, they were proper in sending the motion to modify or change back to NJ. The only way to get venue moved to FL is to file an objection to the motion to modify in NJ and a motion to release jurisdiction to FL and argue since neither parent is a resident of NJ and the children are no longer in NJ, the state of NJ no longer has any continuing legal interest in the matter and jurisdiction should be transferred to the state where all parties reside, FL. The NJ court has to decide to release jurisdiction before you can move everything to FL.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure how to proceed at this point. I have an ESP scheduled for next week. Is it best to request an adjournment of the ESP, and then file a motion to move jurisdiction?

Thank you for your response.

For judicial economy, it is best to move to continue the ESP and file for the motion to release jurisdiction based on lack of continued state interest in the matter. However, at this late date the court may want to handle the ESP and then tell you to file your motion to release jurisdiction once they deal with the ESP. So I would file the motion to continue the ESP now together with a motion to release jurisdiction and hopefully the court will rule in your favor in that they no longer have a state interest and that jurisdiction will be released to FL.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

will the court accept a Power of attorney if I need help?

Thank you for your follow up.

Power of attorney for what? A person with a power of attorney cannot represent you in court, you would need a licensed attorney.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX someone with a power of attorney cannot represent me in court. I should have elaborated on my question.

As for the ESP conference (post-judgment to attend to outstanding issues), is it mandatory for both sides to exchange a pre-settlement outline?

Thank you for your clarification.

A power of attorney cannot still represent you in the conference because it is part of a legal proceeding. Whether or not a pre-settlement statement or outline is required is actually up to the individual judge's rules of court and you need to check with the judge's clerk.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.