Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
10707909

Are there actual strategies that work in a case to get custody?

Are there actual strategies that work in a case to get custody? My X has a team of attorney's and it seems that they use strategy- is this practised?
Hello

I am an attorney with more than 25 years experience. I will provide your information today and look forward to assisting you.

What do you mean they are using Strategy? Every case is about strategy. So give me an example of what you mean in your case. What are you seeing happening, please?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I ask if we can make a strategy with a timeline and the response is if you don't trust the attorney find a new one.

Hi

Thank you

No. I would not suggest a timeline strategy - things are always in flux. That is not what I thought you were asking. I thought you were meaning the way the case is being handled.

For instance, concentrate on the kids, where they live, if they have their own rooms, get a Guardian Ad Litem to represent the children if necessary, look at the activities they are involved in, photos of all the activities together and with family, have family witnesses. In other words, the best strategy is to keep the best interest of the children front and center.

To try to devise a timeline of events would never work. But if it helps you to think more clearly and focus, then you can form the timeline of events.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I do mean a strategy how things are handled ie. Order states to respond to petition in 28 days yet my attorney has not responded.

Hi

I see.

Well that is not a strategy.

Do you know if your attorney has requested an extension on answering the Petition?

That is often done, and it may be a part of your attorney's strategy.

Ask why he has not filed the Response and if there was an extension granted.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

there has been no extension asked for or granted. When I asked for explanation worried the response was if I didn't trust then I could get new counsel and I don't know how to reply back to that?

Hi

I see. Well, I cannot tell you what is inside your attorney's head and why the response has not been filed.

I suggest you might want to consult with another local attorney just to see if this is a normal practice in Illinois. Anytime, deadlines are not met it has a potential to harm a case.