Joseph
Joseph, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have over a decade of experience as a Family Law litigator
18539850

Do parents have an obligation to medicate a child that is clearly

Do parents have an obligation to medicate a child that is clearly ADHD - who had responded positively to the medications before, and then they took the child off because they did not believe in medicating? The child has been pulled in and out of school many times. This particular case is in Las Vegas, NV if that makes any difference. Is this something that is reportable to Child Protective Services?

In general, parents are permitted to handle the medical needs of their children in whatever way they deem appropriate. This would apply to decisions regarding medications.

.

Having said that, parental discretion is not without its limits. If someone believes that the child is being abused or neglected, they could certainly contact protective services. In turn, they would investigate the matter and, if they found the allegations to have merit, they could take the parents to court in an attempt to have a judge order the parents to medicate the child.

.
I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.