Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

Can one parent send a child to a state behavioral unit without

Can one parent send a child to a state behavioral unit without the other parents permission? The other parent has joint custody but the parent that sent the child to the behavioral unit will not providea way to contact the child to the other parent.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

If the parents have joint custody, this means both parents have input and legal rights to know about all major decisions impacting the child. Thus, one parent cannot withhold such information from the other child and if the parent is not letting your friend get information, your friend's recourse is that they have to file a motion for an order to show cause for contempt of court against the other parent to force her to turn over the information regarding the hospital and access to the information so that the father can get the information they are allowed by their legal joint custody rights.

Furthermore, if she is committing the child to a behavioral facility, this is proof she cannot handle the child and it is grounds for the father to file a motion to change custody and seek to become the custodial parent because it shows she cannot parent the child.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you.
You are welcome. Please do not forget to click on excellent service feedback as that is the only way experts receive any credit for the time spent working with customers. Thank you.