TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

I am planning on leaving my husband. I have been a stay at

I am planning on leaving my husband. I have been a stay at home Mom and he is the sole provider. I am scared that when I tell him I am leaving that he will empty our bank accounts and I will be left with nothing to support myself. Is it okay if I move money into a personal account to support myself until I get a job? Will all accounts be frozen? I'm not sure what happens. Thank you
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

It is wise to move half the money from joint accounts into a separate account. If you do not, then you face the risk that your husband will take all of the money for himself. While you may later get an order that entitles you to half of those funds, collecting is generally easier said than done. If you move half the money before leaving, then you will not likely risk any problems later in court since you would probably be entitled to half the funds anyway. The account will not automatically be frozen, so it's good to take what you are entitled to now without waiting for a judge to get involved.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, your positive feedback is much appreciated.

Thank you for using our service!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Your information helps put my mind at rest a little.
Thank you!

You are quite welcome. Thank you for using our service! Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.