How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My grandson is 16 and lives in NYC. He wants to transfer to

This answer was rated:

My grandson is 16 and lives in NYC. He wants to transfer to Granby High School, Ct and live with me. Does he need both parents' consent or can he do it with just one?
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*


My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a New York licensed attorney.

So that I can provide you with the most accurate information, please tell me:
1. Are the parents married and living together?
2. Is there a court-ordered parenting plan?
3. If there is a court-ordered parenting plan, what does it state regarding decision making?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

parents are living together, no court-order parenting plan

Thank you for your information Doreen.

Only one parent's consent is required for your grandson to transfer high schools and reside with you.

Here is why.

Absent a court order to the contrary, either parent has full decision making. This means that one parent may make the decision for a child to relocate and/or enroll in a school. However it also means that without a court order, the objecting parent can remove the child from the new school and home.

Typically this situation is resolved by obtaining a court order.

I would be glad to respond to any related follow-up questions that you may have.
Ellen and 6 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you very much for the "good service" rating and the bonus!

If I can be of assistance in the future, begin your question with: "For FiveStarLaw"

Related Family Law Questions