TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed to Practice Law
9373668

My husband and I are in the process of a divorce. We have

My husband and I are in the process of a divorce. We have been ordered to take our 3 children to a court appointed counselor. I have been ordered to make sure they attend. My problem is the counselor will not meet with my children until my ex has turned in his paper work and he is refusing. What action do I have to get them counseling? He is taking them to his girlfriends house and she is telling them they will be living with her soon. My kids are 8,7 and 5 and I want this stopped. The court gave my ex more custody than he has had all of their lives and they are scared to leave with him. He tells them he is taking them with him and will not return.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

(1) The paperwork. If your ex refuses to complete the paperwork so that the kids can attend the counseling per the court's order, then you need to bring that to the judge's attention. The judge may order your ex to provide the paperwork and depending on the circumstances he may hold your ex in contempt.

(2) The girlfriend. If the ex and his girlfriend scare the kids by telling the kids that they'll take the kids away from you, then it's possible that could be considered the beginnings of parental alienation, which occurs when one parent attempts to damage the relationship between the kids and the other parent. It can occur by making negative comments to the kids. You should bring this to the attention of the judge as well.

You should request your lawyer to file a motion for a rule to show cause so that your ex must come before the judge to explain his actions (or inaction, as the case may be). If you have no attorney, then I would contact the court clerk and ask if there are any forms for that motion.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, your positive feedback is much appreciated.

Thank you for using our service!
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience: Licensed to Practice Law