How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TJ, Esq. Your Own Question
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12182
Experience:  JD, MBA
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
TJ, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I are in the process of a divorce. We have

This answer was rated:

My husband and I are in the process of a divorce. We have been ordered to take our 3 children to a court appointed counselor. I have been ordered to make sure they attend. My problem is the counselor will not meet with my children until my ex has turned in his paper work and he is refusing. What action do I have to get them counseling? He is taking them to his girlfriends house and she is telling them they will be living with her soon. My kids are 8,7 and 5 and I want this stopped. The court gave my ex more custody than he has had all of their lives and they are scared to leave with him. He tells them he is taking them with him and will not return.
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

(1) The paperwork. If your ex refuses to complete the paperwork so that the kids can attend the counseling per the court's order, then you need to bring that to the judge's attention. The judge may order your ex to provide the paperwork and depending on the circumstances he may hold your ex in contempt.

(2) The girlfriend. If the ex and his girlfriend scare the kids by telling the kids that they'll take the kids away from you, then it's possible that could be considered the beginnings of parental alienation, which occurs when one parent attempts to damage the relationship between the kids and the other parent. It can occur by making negative comments to the kids. You should bring this to the attention of the judge as well.

You should request your lawyer to file a motion for a rule to show cause so that your ex must come before the judge to explain his actions (or inaction, as the case may be). If you have no attorney, then I would contact the court clerk and ask if there are any forms for that motion.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, your positive feedback is much appreciated.

Thank you for using our service!
TJ, Esq. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you