LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
6761470

I hit my 16 year old son after I thought he hit his mother.

I hit my 16 year old son after I thought he hit his mother. this all happened in the heat of the moment and I feel very ashamed and immature. afterwards he laughed and since I contacted bone I am headed to Urgent Care with a possible broXXXXX XXXXXd. I want to tell the doctor the truth but am wondering what the legal ramifications are. I live in Ohio

Hello Rob,

My name isXXXXX a licensed attorney. Glad to try and help out.

Sure sorry for the circumstances, truly. My heart goes out to you.

Here's how this works. I speak from direct experience not only as a lawyer but I'm also a registered nurse with many years of clinical experience in emergency care settings. Technically, the nurses and physicians are "mandatory reporters" under Ohio law. That means they have a legal duty to report suspected child abuse or neglect. However, I can tell you from much experience that the typical circumstance for that to happen would be say a baby with cigarette burn marks or a young child with repeated suspicious fractures and bruises. In other words, think of the classic "he fell down the stairs" type of story that just doesn't quite wash. Now, in your case, there's very little along those lines. You're the seriously injured party, your son (from what you've shared) is uninjured and unfazed, there's no prior pattern, he's near the age of majority, and it sounds like an isolated episode of flaring temper in light of having thought his mother had been struck. Truthfully, if you walked into a clinical setting where I was working and said you might have broken your hand in a tussle with your adolescent son, unless he was also seeking treatment and had been injured, I would probably just agree with you that teenagers can be a pain and not give it a second thought. In fact, in all my years (decades) of experience, I can't recall personally or witnessing any medical colleague make a report under the circumstances you've described here. While of course I can't second guess your treatment team, I do hope that brings you some measure of peace of mind.

I commend you for wanting to be honest and sure hope you heal up quickly!

If you have a follow-up question or need clarification, please just say the word by using "reply" to reach me.

I truly hope all works out for you.

Take care,

Ben, J.D.

Hello Rob,

I enjoyed working with you recently.

How are things going?

Is there anything else I can do to help?

Please just let me know.

Thanks!

Ben, J.D.