How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11898
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

in my stipulated supplemental judgment, 3. CHILD SUPPORT.

This answer was rated:

in my stipulated supplemental judgment,
3. CHILD SUPPORT. (a)The Father shall pay to the Mother $700 per month, until further order of court. The support obligation shall continue beyond the age of 18 and until the minor child reaches the age of 21 years of age, if the child is attending school as defined in ORS 107.108(4). but my ex sent me an email saying he will pay $700 to my son directly when he turns 18 this July. What should I do? My son lives with me full time.
Thank you for your question.

If your ex paid your son directly, he would be in violation of the court order. Therefore, you could file a contempt motion against him (some states call it an Order to Show Cause) and ask the court that he be sanctioned for failure to abide by the judge's orders. A judge has wide discretion as far as what they impose in sactions, but it can be a stern warning, an order to pay your attorney fees for having to bring a motion, and even jail time, though that would normally be reserved for repeat violations.

You may want to politely make your ex aware that if he does pay your son, regardless of whether he pays him the full amount, you will file a motion with the court seeking to have him held in contempt. You cannot file it now, because he hasn't yet violated -all you can do is warn him of the potential consequences of such action.

RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11898
Experience: Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
RobertJDFL and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


My ex sent me an e-mail that saying he will pay the child support directly to my son from July 2013 because my son turns 18 on 7/11/13. I thought that he is breaking the law and went to the court today and asked to family law assistant about this. she said my ex can give the child support directly to my son even if he lives in my place. I have gotten the answer from your site that saying it is breaking the law. Which one is right???

Do I have to pay 1/2of his college costs? can my ex take me to the court and make me pay my son's college costs or support after my son turns 18? If I don't pay, can my ex put a lien against my house for the support money for my son? I make a little over $ 10000/year.

Is this in Oregon?

Different laws apply to different states with respect to child support and college.

In Oregon, a court may provide for the support of a “child attending school” anytime during or after a divorce. To qualify, the child must be 18-21 years of age, unmarried, enrolled at least half-time at a school, community college, college, university, or regularly attending professional vocational or technical training, and must be making satisfactory progress as defined by the school.


Additionally, once a child qualifies as a “child attending school”, child support must be paid directly to the child unless the court orders the money to be distributed otherwise. The child may use the child support at his or her discretion. This means that the child is not required to use the money to pay for tuition, books and supplies, but rather can use the money however he or she best judges that it should be spent.

Not every state does it like this, so if your child were enrolled in school at least half time by August and progressing through school (i.e., he continues to maintain his grades), Oregon says that the money should be paid directly to your son in that instance. My apologies for the incorrect information earlier.

Now, as to paying for college, does your order actually say that you have to pay for college? Unless one or both of you are ordered in the court order to do so, neither one of you has an obligation to contribute to the costs. Could your ex petition the court and ask that you pay? Yes, but generally, it is very rare that a court would make a parent pay for college tution or other costs -it would have to be a situation where for example a child may have to drop out because they otherwise cannot afford to go, and a parent has the financial means to pay.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Previous | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16 yrs. of experience including family law.
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:


Related Family Law Questions