Joseph
Joseph, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have over a decade of experience as a Family Law litigator
18539850

My husband and I are living apart in separate states because

My husband and I are living apart in separate states because of verbal abuse during the marriage we will be married for 3yrs Sept 18 2013. I am not working because I got diagnosed with MS, Depression Migraines and Fibromyalgia. My last day of work was Dec 2011 , Mike is my only means of support other than my 19yr son working at Red lobster part time, My husband gets paid over $1000 wk and last Thurs he took all money out of account and changed the pin number, wont pay bills give me food answer p honeor voicemail . Very angry because he is tired of supporting two households wants me to move back but refuses counseling he is in Clev,OH and I'm in Raleigh NC. What are my options ? I have filed for disability, waiting for hearing by this July. No money no food heartbroken n sick thanks Brenda
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.

In your current situation, still being married, you have no real ability to force him to pay the bills. As you have been living separate and apart, and have described an abusive relationship, I assume you are prepared to end the marriage.

.

If this is accurate, you can then begin to require him to contribute to the bills. If you file with the court system, you can then put motions before the judge requesting such relief. Considering he has been the primary source of income during the marriage, it seems quite likely that the judge would order him to pay these bills. While your husband may not want to get divorced, he cannot prevent you from proceeding.

.
I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do you file for divorce without any money I cant afford an attorney?

Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.

You might check with a legal aid society in your area. You could also call the county bar association for any family law attorneys doing pro bono work. Additionally, as your husband is the primary wage earner, it may be possible to get him to pay your attorneys fees. You would need to file the divorce on your own (the local clerk of court will have paperwork for this) and then ask the judge to enter an order requiring him to pay your fees.

.
.
.
.

Joseph, Family Law Attorney
Experience: I have over a decade of experience as a Family Law litigator