How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13156
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im interested in knowing if it is at all possible for one

This answer was rated:

I'm interested in knowing if it is at all possible for one to be transferred to another State Prison when they have stage 3 cancer of the lymph nodes. I am the mother and my son has relatives between Philadelphia (paternal grandparents in their 80's) and in Florida, maternal grandmother in her 80's. The loved ones are unable to visit him due to age and the distance to Bellefonte, Pa. is quite a distance. My husband and I drove up last year and it would kill some of my relatives to take such a ride. My son is unfortunately a lifer, he received natural life.
Thank you for your question.

It is possible, but it depends first on whether the inmate meets the criteria for a "Good Adjustment Transfer" to request that they be transfered.

Even then, the final decision is with the Florida Department of Corrections and is based on the needs of the FDOC and meeting the needs of inmates - security, health, etc. Getting an inmate closer to home, even if they are ill, so that they can visit with family, is not (if I am being honest) their priority or concern.

A transfer can also take a long time - a year or more would not be unheard of, even if approved, as space would have to be available at another facility that could accomodate your son.

Here is a link from the Florida Department of Corrections which talks about inmate transfers. If you scroll to the bottom, there is information about Good Adjustment Transfer qualifications, and information on that page as well as to how an inmate applies for a transfer.
RobertJDFL and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you