Jack R.
Jack R., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  OH/TX Mediator and Attorney dealing with Family, Child, and Divorce Law
14472836

I live in Ohio, my child has visitation with her father the

I live in Ohio, my child has visitation with her father the weekend of the 20th April, my sister is coming in town from Vegas to visit that weekend. Father's child is refusing to let her be with me so she can see her aunt, what recourses do I have? I'm sure I don't have enough time to file a motion. Thank you.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Jack R. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for choosing Just Answer.

Unfortunately you do not have any easy recourse. The visitation order must be followed or the father is entitled to take legal action against you. Filing a motion would probably not have helped and more than likely the Court would have admonished the parties to work this out. Many parenting orders in orders in Ohio are explicit in that school events and other children's activities are not reasons for denying visitation to an entitled parent. The courts want to make sure that the parents of the children have the time they are entitled to have.

You need to negotiate a different time or holiday swap with the father. For example offer him this weekend instead of the following. You might also remind him there may be a time when one of his relatives will be in town wishing to see the children. It is unfortunate when children are placed in these situations with split families.

I know this is not the result you wanted but that is all that is available under Ohio law.

If you found this answer useful please press the appropriate quality of service button of 3 or greater. This is needed so I can get credit for my answer. If you have follow up questions please ask.

This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship.Information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately I did give him my Easter holiday because his family was in town, but he won't switch weekends for me. I told him next time i won't do it for him. It's too bad he won't think of the child. Thank you.

Expert:  Jack R. replied 1 year ago.

While I understand the disappointment, I would suggest that next time he asks rather than just deny the child access to family over a holiday you get a commitment from him to allow you an extra weekend or other time to be determined in the future. Otherwise, you would be acting just he is today and it is your daughter that will miss out. I do not know how old your daughter is, but I can tell you I have many cases where fathers have nothing to do with their children. In your case at least he is taking an interest perhaps too selfish an interest.

Jack R., Family Law Attorney
Experience: OH/TX Mediator and Attorney dealing with Family, Child, and Divorce Law