Joseph, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have over a decade of experience as a Family Law litigator

Am I entitled to my ex-spouses pension benefits? We were

Am I entitled to my ex-spouse's pension benefits? We were married for 14 years; no children; NY State; he is retired now. Thanks for your help.
Jane Ford [email protected]

Your entitlement to any benefits would be detailed in your divorce judgment. There should be a section of your judgment that discusses the distribution of assets, this would include these benefits. So, read your divorce judgment and you will then know your entitlement to benefits. If you don't have a copy of your judgment, then you can contact the clerk of the court for the county in which your divorce was handled and request a copy.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.