LADY LAWYER
LADY LAWYER, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Family Law Attorney
7887522

I ( custodial mother) live in Alaska with child. Father lives

I ( custodial mother) live in Alaska with child. Father lives in Colorado. Our parenting agreement is in the state of Michigan. We have been here almost a year. If we go back to court for any anything, would it have to be in Michigan or how do we go about getting venue changed to Alaska. Father has never lived in Michigan or AK with our child.

LADY LAWYER :

Hello, Thanks for choosing Justanswer.com! I look forward to helping you today. Please give me a moment to review your question and to answer you.

LADY LAWYER :

If your ex had lived in MI and still resided there, then the Uniform Child Custody and Jurisdiction Act would apply and "original continuing jurisdiction" would prevent you from moving the case. However, if neither parent lives in MI, then you need to file a motion asking MI to relinquish jurisdiction to AK since that is the child's state of residence.

LADY LAWYER :

The MI family law court may have a form for you to use so call the clerk to see about that.

LADY LAWYER :

In the meantime, if you need to go back to court for anything, you will surely be allowed to appear by telephone or video conferencing since you are so far away. This is done all the time nowadays.

LADY LAWYER :

If you have any further questions, I am most happy to answer them! I strive for an excellent customer service rating, so if you need any additional help with this, just let me know. If not, would you kindly consider a positive rating for me at this time? It costs you nothing further to do but it does allow the site to compensate me for helping you. Thanks!