Jack R.
Jack R., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  OH/TX Mediator and Attorney dealing with Family, Child, and Divorce Law

About 8 years ago I hired a lawyer to represent me in a lawsuit

About 8 years ago I hired a lawyer to represent me in a lawsuit against a contractor that was rehabilitateing a building I currently own. In the end I felt this lawyer did represent properly being the case was settled mostly in favor of the contractor being the case was settled out of court through an agreement. After doing some research I found that this lawyer main area of practice is family criminal law and real estate or contractual lawyer. My question is can lawyer represent me in a case that is outside of their field of practice?

Thank you for choosing Just Answer.

A lawyer may represent you in any legal matter he or she feels competent. Specialization is not required for a lawyer to handle a legal matter although may do restrict their practice to certain areas. All lawyers receive a broad basis to practice law as part of their law school experience. This includes contract law, and both civil and criminal law. Lawyers also obtain more specialized training in various aspects of the law or practice areas. . This is done through education, experience, or study.. A licensed attorney is allowed to practice in most areas requiring a legal advocate.

Please remember the to click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE so I may get credit form my answer. If you have further questions please ask. Thank You !