Joseph, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have over a decade of experience as a Family Law litigator

Good evening, I am in desperate need of legal advice. My husbands

Good evening, I am in desperate need of legal advice. My husband's brother, my brother in law, has passed away this past Monday morning. However, his wife is not divulging any information about the funeral or visitation and is informing people that the funeral will cost a certain amount of money otherwise there will be no funeral. However, should my husband's sister-in-law threatened to cancel the funeral altogether. Now, if she does this can his children from a legal standpoint (he has three daughters 22, 20, and 17) step in and go forward with funeral proceedings if she cancels the funeral or has not made any funeral arrangements whatsoever?

Yes, the other family members may step in and make funeral arrangements. While these arrangements often fall to the spouse, there is nothing wrong or unlawful about the arrangements being handled by the children or other family members.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for answering my question about my brother in law. We had additional questions. Is the funeral director not able speak to him about the funeral arrangements she is making or has made if she has requested him to?

it is certainly possible that the widow specifically requested off the director that he not disclose any information. While I would think that this would be unusual, it certainly may be the situation here.