How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ANDREA, Your Own Question
ANDREA,, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12554
Experience:  25 yrs Family Law, Real Estate & Business Law, Criminal Defense, Immigration, Employment Law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ANDREA, is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a military officer and my soon to be ex-wife filed an

Customer Question

I am a military officer and my soon to be ex-wife filed an erroneous restraining order A few months back as a means of getting me to fork over $30K in spousal support. The order is fraught with lies, that include allegations of rape, kidnapping, imprisonment, assault and battery. It further includes my personal medical records to include allegations of once being thought to have HIV, and PTSD. My ex is a medical professional (Health Care Administrator) and I would assume should know better than to divulge this information publicly. Additionally, she mentioned I came from an abusive family, and thereby may have violated a NDA agreement she signed with my sister (celebrity Tyra Banks) that stipulates no family information should be divulged. Making matters worse, I am currently undergoing an investigation to attain a Top Secret clearance, and all this information is now in my military records were it can affect my promotion and security clearance potential. I am scheduled to contest the order on June 25th, but the genie is already out the bottle. That being said, is there any way I can sue for defamation, violation of the family NDA and HIPAA Privacy Rules in the State of Washington?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ANDREA, replied 3 years ago.

Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer, My name is Andrea and my goal is to provide you with Excellent Service,


I am sorry to hear what your soon to be ex wife is doing to you, your name and your reputation,


1. You asked if you could sue your soon to be ex-wife for defamation, for violation of the Non-Disclosure Agreement she signed with your sister, and for violation of the HIPAA privacy rules,




1. You can sue her for slander (for making false statements), libel (If she conveyed these false statements in writing) and defamation of character. As the Plaintiff, you would have to prove the following:

A. She made false and derogatory statements about you;

B. She knew that they were false, or made them with reckless disregard for their truth or falsity;

C. She conveyed these false statements to another individual


Normally, a Plaintiff would have to prove damages - emotional, financial, damage to one's name and reputation in the community. However, there are certain instances when damages need not be proved and that the statements were "Slander Per Se". One of these instances is where the statements are "Slander Per Se" is if they falsely accuse another individual of a sexually transmitted disease. Although HIV can be transmitted in several ways, it has come to be known as a "sexually transmitted" disease. Therefore, because she made these false statements that you had HIV, commonly associated with sexual indiscretion, you would not have to prove damages the fourth element of a cause of action for defamation of character;


2. With respect to her violation of a Non-Disclosure Agreement she signed with your sister, you would probably not be successful unless you had "Privity of Contract", i.e., that you also were a signatory of the Non-Disclosure Agreement. If you were not one of the parties who signed that Agreement, then you would not have standing to file a lawsuit for this - But, your sister certainly would be successful in filing a lawsuit against her for violating the Non-Disclosure Agreement since your sister was one of the parties who signed that Agreement;


3. With respect to HIPAA, I agree with you completely, if she is in the health field, she should know better, however, you could only sue her for violating the HIPAA privacy rules, if she were one of your medical providers and she disclosed any part or parts of your medical records to unauthorized third persons. If she was not one of your medical providers, then she had no legal obligation to keep your medical information private.


***If you are denied Top Secret Clearance and denied a promotion or a position because of the false accusations she made against you of rape, kidnapping, assault, battery, and the rest of the false accusations, you could sue her for damages you sustain because of the denial of Top Secret Clearance, denial of promotion and denial of the position because of these false accusations. This would be a lawsuit separate and apart from the lawsuit for slander, libel, and defamation of character.



I am sorry that I could not tell you that you could file a lawsuit for all of the grounds you mentioned because it would have given me great pleasure, if I could have done so, but I have an ethical obligation to you to give you only correct Answers and information, so I am respectfully asking that you not hold the law applicable to your situation against me.


If I have not Answered your question fully, please let me know by using the "Reply" button and I will be glad to explain further,

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you as "Excellent Service", so that I can receive credit for assisting you. Bonus is not necessary, but is always appreciated,

If you are given a survey, please be kind enough to leave some Positive Feedback, I would appreciate it greatly,


Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you,



JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Previous | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16 yrs. of experience including family law.
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers: