Joseph
Joseph, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have over a decade of experience as a Family Law litigator
18539850

Is it possible to get a legal separation,( this is not a divorce)

Is it possible to get a legal separation,( this is not a divorce) in Ohio without an agreement to do so on the part of both parties

Much like filing for divorce, the process is much easier if the parties can reach an agreement. However, if an agreement between the parties cannot be reached, then the decisions can be left to the discretion of the court. If you cannot reach an agreement with your spouse, then you might consider filing a separation action with the domestic relations division of the local common pleas court. If your court does not have a domestic relations division, then you would file in the general division. In either event, a hearing would be set with the court for the judge to enter orders regarding all outstanding issues.

.
I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

@ Joseph. So are you saying that my wife can indeed proceed with a legal separation even if I am not in agreement to do so? Please understand, she does not want a divorce, she wants certain marital privileges. My understanding had been that a legal separation was not possible unless I voluntarily agreed to some terms with her and put my signature to it. Was my understanding wrong?

Ohio, like most states, is a no-fault state. Meaning, either party may file for divorce or separation for any reason or no reason whatsoever, with or without the consent of the other party. While consent makes the process much easier, a disagreement on whether or how to file will not stop the process.

.
.
.
.