Seattle Scott
Seattle Scott, Lawyer
Experience:  I have 25 years experience as a Washington State Family Law Attorney.
34978818

If my wife never knew about some of the money that Ive had

If my wife never knew about some of the money that I've had invested since before the marriage, do I have to list it on the financial statement?
If you are talking about in the context of a divorce, the answer is yes. If my assumption is correct let me know and I will find out the specific consequence of non-disclosure in MA. If you are talking about a financial statement in another context let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, in a divorce case.

If wife finds out about your investment money, you are probably going to be on the hook for her attorney fees and any other expenses she incurred to get to the truth. Here is some case law: 835 N.E.2d 315 (2005)
64 Mass.App.Ct. 733
Susan R. KELLEY
v.
Susan R. KELLEY
No. 04-P-1341
Appeals Court of Massachusetts, Norfolk
October 11, 2005.
Further, "[t]he trial of a case is not to be converted into a game of hide and seek." Crowe v. Fong, 45 Mass.App.Ct. 673, 678-679 (1998), quoting from Hillery v. Hillery, 342 Mass. 371, 375 (1961). The wife had to expend considerable counsel fees and costs in a response to the husband's attempt not only to misrepresent his income but also to engage in conduct whereby he transferred assets to his mother, assets which will sometime in the future return to him. In the circumstances present in this matter, we hold that the wife is entitled to attorney's
[64 Mass.App.Ct. 743] and expert's fees and costs, in connection with the proceedings below, in an amount to be determined by the judge.

Also, when the non-disclosed asset is discovered, ex wife can go back and reopen the final property division of the divorce.

If this answered your question, please give me a favorable rating, or if you need more form me let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. If the money in question was inherited does it still have to be disclosed?

Yes, but inherited money is usually treated a little differently in favor of the owner spouse. But no mater what is the final shake out, non-disclosure , if found out, has implications beyond the subject money, as in you will not be believed about anything.
Thank you for your bonus - glad I was able to provide some useful information.